Sunday, March 4, 2012

Cooking Lessons - Chicken Nuggets

I have yet to find a chicken nugget that Nathan can eat. Aside from the egg and milk typically in them, CORN seems to lurk in the form of corn syrup and corn meal in all of them. So, Ive been forced into making my own for Nathan. Here is how I do it.

I make these in large batches and freeze them, because they are time consuming and not so fun to make on demand. For this batch I used 6 chicken breasts. In total with setup and clean up it took an hour and a half and yielded 90 nuggets.
I cut the chicken breast into 1-2 inch pieces with kitchen scissors.
I mix up some Ener-G egg replacer in a bowl according to the package directions. Ive mentioned this before, but, it needs to be said again, not all egg replacers are the same. Ener-G is the only one I have found with out corn solids in it. I made up the equivalent of two eggs for the nuggets.
I added a cup of rice milk to the egg replacer and mixed it in a bowl.
I got some Panko crumb. Be careful here, bread crumbs or Panko are very difficult to find egg and milk and corn free. These are Progresso Plain Panko and they are safe. Ive seen Panko that is not safe, so just read your labels carefully!
I fry the nuggets in Olive Oil. Nathan can use the extra fat and it makes them nice and crispy. I suppose you could just bake them and skip the fry step. We dont.

I fry them until they get nice and crispy and browned. Only turn them once. Turning them more than once can make them lose alot of their crumb coating. The nuggets usually are not cooked through though. I find if you cook them through, they lose alot of their crumb and get too browned on the outside.
Then I place them on cookie sheets and bake them at 350 F until they are cooked through. Because, nothing ruins your day like eating raw chicken :)
Then I pop the whole cookie sheet into my freezer and freeze the nuggets solid. Once frozen, I remove them from the sheet and place in freezer zip bags to store until needed. I microwave them to heat them for eating.

No comments: