Friday, April 6, 2012

Cooking Lessons - Better Than Buttermilk Pancakes

This is my tried and true pancake recipe for Nathan. After trying many different concoctions and having just as many failures, I found this one and rejoiced!!! Its from the Urban Vegan recipe book. Ive altered it slightly. These pancakes freeze and reheat in the microwave pretty well, so I make up big batches of them for Nathan once a month. This recipe makes about 40 small 2 inch round pancakes.

Start with 1 cup of white flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour. I feel good knowing that at least half the flour is whole wheat. Ive never tried the recipe using entirely all whole wheat flour though Id like to get there with Nathan's tastes eventually.
Add 2 cups rice milk. Add 3 teaspoons of baking powder. Ive found that baking powder is the key to the success of pancakes recipes with no eggs or milk. Add 1 teaspoon of vinegar, a pinch of salt.
Add 6-8 tablespoons of natural applesauce.
I also add dairy free mini chocolate chips to the mixture, because, chocolate chip pancakes are the best.
YUM!
I cook the pancakes on my electric griddle, have I mentioned how much I use my griddle? Anyway I cook them until a slight bit crunchy and browned, because I found they freeze better this way and dont get slimy when you microwave them to reheat them.
After they are cooked I freeze them on cookie sheets and then store them in a freezer ziploc bag.

No comments: